Dangerous Delights: Human Foods That Can Be Dangerous to Dogs
As much as we love to treat our canine companions to human meals, it’s essential to know that not all foods are safe for dogs.
Some foods that are consumable for humans can be toxic and fatal to our furry friends. Keep scrolling to discover the five most dangerous foods for dogs.
Toxic Treats: Chocolate and Milk
Topping the list is chocolate, which is one of the most dangerous foods for dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and, in extreme cases, death. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous.
Milk contains lactose, which dogs don’t have the enzymes to break down. A dog consuming milk could lead to diarrhea, vomiting, and gastrointestinal problems.
Hidden Hazards: Cheese and Onions
Like milk, cheese also has sugars and fatty components that dogs cannot break down because they don’t have the required enzyme.
Onions can do much more than make dogs cry; they can damage red blood cells, making them weaker and more lethargic.
Pooch Perils: Garlic and Grapes
Garlic is part of the onion family and is even more dangerous to dogs than onions. Like the chocolate rule, the stronger the garlic, the more dangerous it can be. The effect of garlic on a dog’s red blood cells won’t occur for a few days; eventually, the dog’s urine will change to an orange or dark red color.
Grapes have an unknown toxic substance that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and kidney failure.
Breakfast Table Dangers: Caffeine and Bacon
Coffee contains a stimulant known as methylated xanthine, which can stimulate a dog’s nervous system, causing them to vomit. It can also cause restlessness, heart palpitations, and even death.
Bacon is rich in fat, and it can lead to pancreatitis in dogs, which can cause the pancreas to be inflamed and stop functioning correctly.
Table Scrap Threat: Avocados and Apple Cores
Avocados contain a toxin called persin, which can cause upset stomachs, breathing difficulties, and fluid buildup in the chest. Dogs can accidentally swallow the pit of an avocado, leading to obstruction of their gastrointestinal tract.
Apple cores contain cyanides, and consuming apple cores can cause dizziness, seizures, hyperventilation, collapse, shock, and even coma.
Keep these dangers in mind the next time your pup starts to beg for a bit of your dinner!